Top 5 Biggest Controversies
- The O.J. Simpson trial – This trial was one of the most public and polarizing events in American history. The trial exposed deep racial tensions in the country and provided a lens into celebrity culture and the criminal justice system.
- The Watergate scandal – This scandal led to the resignation of President Richard Nixon and forever changed American politics. The scandal showed the power of the media and investigative journalism in holding the powerful accountable.
- The Iran-Contra affair – This scandal involved the secret sale of arms to Iran in exchange for American hostages. The scandal resulted in numerous investigations and convictions, and damaged the reputation of the Reagan administration.
- The Clinton-Lewinsky scandal – This scandal tabloidized American politics and led to the impeachment of President Bill Clinton. The scandal also exposed the power of the independent counsel and the personal and professional risks of engaging in an affair.
- The Trayvon Martin shooting – This shooting sparked a national conversation about race and crime, and led to the birth of the Black Lives Matter movement. The shooting and its aftermath exposed deep racial divisions in the country and the shortcomings of the criminal justice system.