There are several reasons that people might believe that the Earth is flat:
- Some ancient cultures believed in a flat Earth, such as the Greeks and Egyptians.
- The Bible mentions a flat Earth in some passages (e.g. Isaiah 11:12 and Revelation 7:1).
- Some people think that the horizon always appears flat, regardless of the observer’s location.
- It is easier to explain certain phenomena, such as eclipses, on a flat Earth model.
- Some people think that a round Earth would be unstable and would eventually collapse in on itself.